Saturday, February 28, 2009

Big Bird is My Hero

Have you ever seen this clip from Sesame Street? It is of a mom breastfeeding her baby and Big Bird asking about it. I think it is so sweet.

I get some raised eyebrows about the fact that Bridget is still nursing at 19 months. But it works for us. She loves to nurse, and while sometimes it is inconvenient for me, I do enjoy providing for her in this way. With our infertility issues, then having a rough birthing experience, breastfeeding has been very healing for me. It gave me a little more faith in my body - that my body could actually function the way it was intended to!

Even though I do look forward to weaning Bridget someday (she will wean, right?!), I am thankful everyday that I have been able to breastfeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was watching Jay Leno last night, and he was talking about a lady with a video on youtube who is nursing her 8-year old daughter...yes, 8. She said the child should be the one to decide when to wean, and he said you know when you need to wean, when there is a video of you on youtube breastfeeding your 8 year old! I thought it was pretty funny...pretty sure Bridget won't be 8 :)--Mandi