Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sign Me Up

...For the worst mom in the universe award.

1. I think Bridget got hand, foot, and mouth disease. Which sounds worse than it is - it isn't really a big deal, but it can sure make kids really uncomfortable, and it is really contagious. Poor kid was just not a happy camper over Easter. She didn't even get to wear her pretty Easter dress to Mass on Easter morning - I went to Mass by myself because Bill went to Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday. It was nice to go to Mass and focus, but I missed my family.

2. Yesterday, Bridget fell off some playground equipment and hit her head. :-( It was awful. I was standing right next to her. We were pretending to drive using the steering wheels mounted on the side of the jungle gym. She went to spin the wheel, and she lost her balance and fell off the side of the platform, then onto the platform below us, then off onto the ground. I reached for her as she fell, and she went right through my hands. It was terrible watching her little body fall like that - praise God that the playground is covered in the black rubber stuff and it wasn't far that she fell. She is typically so sure on her feet - she can climb anything. She just tripped right off the side. I opened my mouth to scream, but nothing came out. The little monkey cried for about 15 seconds, and ran off to climb back on the jungle gym. I was feeling all over her head and body for cuts, scrapes, or broken bones, but that annoyed her more than falling. I ended up calling the doctor just to be safe, and she slept okay and has acted completely normal, so all is well. It was so scary...I will be more careful from now on, although I don't know what I would have done differently.

3. This morning, we noticed that Bridget's gums were bleeding. She brushes her teeth everyday - we thought her gums were swollen because of hand, foot, and mouth, but then when they started bleeding, we called the doctor. I feel so awful. I don't know what the problem is, but I get the feeling it is going to involve holding her down and a thorough gum examination. Poor kid.

Anyway, I'm feeling not so great as a parent.

No comments: