Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tears for Cora

I have never met this family (although they look strangely familiar to me), but my heart breaks for them today. Their sweet little 10-month-old daughter, Cora, died of cancer on Sunday. It is tough to look at the pictures of that adorable baby girl and know that her mom and dad will have to endure life without her. Please pray for them.

When I read their story this morning, I cried. I cried hard.

There is something about knowing that a mother is sorrowing over her child that pulls at any mother's heart. I knelt down to the floor and called for Bridget. I said, "Can you give Mama a hug? Mama needs a hug." And my sweet girl ran to me and laid her head on my shoulder. That made me cry even harder. I think of Cora's mom and dad who won't get to see her run to them and wrap her arms around them. I think of how they'll never see her blow them a kiss. My heart breaks. I wonder why God allows such pain. I wonder how I would survive without my baby.

Then I remember that Bridget isn't really MY baby. I can no more possess her than I could possess the stars or the sky. Bridget belongs to God - He is just loaning her to me to love. And someday He will call His child home.

Please pray with me today for all parents who have had to say goodbye to their children, especially for Jess and Joel McClenahan.

1 comment:

Emily said...

LORI!!! This is Emily Ekart from St. Isidore's RCIA. I too came across this Blog and was brought to tears. I actually struggled with the thought of this for a while. Hope you don't mind me exploring your blog :) It was neat to stumble across.